6800 - INSTRUCTION - SCHOOL FEES
The Board recognizes, there are many expenses associated with the operation of the school which are beyond the ordinary costs of education. Added conveniences such as, but not limited to, lockers, yearbook, clubs, travel and tangible products are items of cost which may properly be borne by parents/guardians, and students. After school activities are outside the normal school program and should be supported in some percentage by participating students.
Students shall have equal access to all programs offered by the public school regardless of their parent/guardian's ability or willingness to pay school or participation fees.
The Board, in compliance with State law, authorizes the following rules regarding school fees, rentals, deposits, participation fees and waiver policy as required:
- Students in grades K-8 will be provided free of charge and without deposit, all rental fees, all educational supplies used in the instructional process, except the following items for which a charge may be made:
A. Supplies and materials to construct personal items that are retained by the student.
B. Fees may be charged in connection with any school-sponsored activity if participation is voluntary and does not affect students' grades or ability to participate fully in any program conducted during the regular day.
C. A small fee may be assessed for special events such as class parties, etc., as long as no student is denied the right to participate based on the fee. Principals shall approve or deny all fees assessed for special events.
- Schools may sell or otherwise provide at cost to students in grades 9-12, all student supplies.
- Students in grades 9-12 will be required to pay a flat fee rental charge for textbooks, use of equipment and payment for materials used in lab classes.
A. Students who lose textbooks, equipment or materials during the assigned periods will be required to replace said items on a cost replacement basis.
- Students enrolling in Drivers Education will be required to pay a fee. This fee is necessary to defray costs of extended day instructional driving time. See Driver Education Policy #6040.
- Fees may be charged in connection with any school-sponsored activity if participation is voluntary and does not affect students' grades or ability to participate fully in any program conducted during the regular day.
- Fees related to extra-curricular activities and participation for activities sponsored by the Utah High School Activities Association may be charged in accordance with District policy and may not exceed the limits established by the association. A list of those activities for which a fee is attached may be found in the Student Policy Section #5800.
- No, school or school-employee may establish any student fee or cost not set or approved by the Board.
- A fee waiver procedure to insure that students are not denied the opportunity to participate in school activities and educational programs because of the inability to pay deposits or charges, and an appeal process is established by rule of this policy and is included in the Student Section of the Policy Book, #5830.
A. All school and participation fees may be waived upon approval of individual application to the building principal. The principal shall be available to discuss fee waivers as required.
B. Qualification for fee-waiver shall be based on the same documented financial standards and guidelines required to qualify for free or reduced price meals as established by the Child Nutrition Program.
- Any parent/guardian or student who has been denied a fee waiver may appeal to the Superintendent of Grand County School District. Persons who request an appeal should do so in writing.
- No student will be denied enrollment in any class during the regular school day, or receipt of transcripts for failure to pay school fees.
- The Board will annually review the school fee schedule during a regular meeting. Patrons and staff will be encouraged to attend this meeting to discuss the schedule and help determine needed changes. Written notice of school fees, rental fees, participation fees, waiver policies, and all other conditions regarding this issue shall be published and made available to patrons prior to the opening of school each year.
Adopted: 5-16-95; Revised: 12-18-02; GRAND COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT; Moab, Utah
Adopted: 06-19-01; Revised: 12-18-02; Grand County School District; Moab, Utah